Monday, 23 March 2009





"The tiger-bhutan from Puttur. Sacrifices are offered to this figure to protect people from a plague of tigers."

Ritter, Theodor Samuel (Mr), date early: 1.02.1928, date late: 3.12.1929

(All these images are collected from the website called http://www.bmpix.org/index.html. Basel Mission an archive collection of fabulous pictures of early 20th Century from all over the world. Among the Indian Modern States Karnataka has better collection of photographs, may be because of presence of missionary who are the major source of these collections. I hope you can go to the website and look for your-self a lot more photographs of not only Puttur, but also of other places like Upinangadi, Belthangady, Kudremukh etc.)

Enjoy.....Amal

4 comments:

  1. sorry amal, I had to fiddle around with your post. There was some problem and these images were not displayed. So, I saved these pictures from web source you had mentioned, stored them in my hard disk and loaded them back to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking to my mava about tiger bhuta, he said they were also called 'pili'bhuta. There are many types of bhuta, and the tiger bhuta is one of the minor ones, they come in for a short period when others get ready. There is one called 'one less than forty bhuta'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an informative post. Cheers Amal!

    ReplyDelete